At one time the RS-232 spec did have a distance rating (probably in the RS232A
time frame, it was at least 100 feet as I recall). By the C revision, this was
replaced by cable capacitance that the driver could feed. In practice RS-232
can regularly drive several hundred feet of cable, depending on the data rate.
The problem in all this is the driver in use. If the driver meets the EI-232
spec, then there should be no problem. However, equipment that takes shortcuts
(0-5V swings for example) are probably meant to just connect to something next
to it.

Thus the real answer is, “try it.” If communications is flakey you may need to
lower the data rate, but most likely you will be able to find a setting that
works.
Let us know what you find!

- Jack, W6FB