Don probably gave you the correct answer, he has consistently good
advice.

You might though want to also check your Astron, if it is one of the
ones with adjustable current & voltage, Mine is the VS-35M. The
adjustment knobs are easy to bump and unexpectedly change the voltage
or current output. I've bumped mine before and caused my K3 to shut
down unexpectedly yet the K3 was lit up just fine.

I now have a piece of tape on the knobs so it won't happen again.

73,

Gary
KA1J