In case anyone was wondering, I suspect this is a failing of Mac OS X
and USB audio. After conversations with Mac and Apple developers about
the state of USB audio as of Yosemite (and even worse, in El Capitan) I
decided to use a different OS. I'm now running a brand-new $349 HP
laptop and WSJT-X ran fine last night in Win 10 and Ubuntu. It's not an
ideal choice, but having the audio quit in the middle of a conversation
was a deal breaker.

I could go on about OS X Bluetooth issues after Snow Leopard but that's
a different off-topic story.