I  use a Square D Homeline SurgeBreaker
Model HOM2175SB
As that's what fits my panel. Your panel may be different. You need to mount it
as close to the top as possible and it takes up two spots, so that it covers
both legs.
It has a small neutral pigtail that also gets connected.

I also use surge suppressors at each piece of electronic, home theater, TVs,
computers, etc.

I have an L-Com unit on the telephone line coming into the house that is
grounded to the electrical service panel. The cable TV is also tied to ground.

My main shack computer goes through a protected UPS.

Does it work? I hope so. All our services are underground but I've had one
strike to tree next to the house and one strike across the street. No problems
yet.

73
Don AC2EV