I have recently built up a K1 to the point of the receiver alignment (page
36, 7 "Alignment and Test, Part 1").  Up until this point all of my test
points have been successful, voltages correct, etc.  When I power on the K1
I get the correct LED test pattern and then the E27/E42 error messages that
are expected.

However, when I begin going through the steps on page 36 all is well until I
get to the point on page 37 where I turn on the sidetone.  I access the stl
menu item, press-and-hold Menu and it comes up with 8 by default.  I can tap
up and down, exit the menu and go back in and the eeprom remembers my
settings.  I can turn the K1 off and back on, go back into the menus and
access the stl menu and it remembered my setting.  The only problem is I
hear nothing, either on the headphone jack or on the external speaker
connector.  Everything else on the transceiver seems to function properly
including turning on and off the attenuator, rit/xit, etc.  Just no sound of
any kind.

Just for grins I went ahead and installed the filter board to test that
portion of it and all of that worked perfectly.  The relays switch bands and
the display shows everything properly, no problems and of course with the
filter board installed the E27 goes away.  With the filter board installed,
I still hear nothing when I access the stl menu to tap up or down the
sidetone level.  I also hear absolutely no hiss.

Removing the filter board and powering back on I am back to the expected E27
and E42.

It appears that everything else works completely as expected, considering
the point at which I am in construction.  The only issue is I have no audio
which also means I hear no sidetone when I access the stl menu.

I've spent many hours (roughly 7 as of this moment) going over both the top
and bottom of the RF board with a magnifying glass looking at each and every
connection and solder joint.  I did go ahead and re-flow several that I
thought maybe were suspect and re-soldered some others just to be safe.  I
paid special attention to the P1 connector and ensured each and every pin is
well soldered.

I then started working through the audio chain, starting from the
front-panel and working my way to the RF board.

I verified:

1.  I hear sidetone on P1 pin 2
2.  I hear sidetone on Q11 drain (I had heard that could be a known issue,
but it wasn't)
3.  I hear sidetone on U3 pin 5
4.  I verified source and drain are not shorted on Q10
5.  I verified source and drain are not open on Q11

It seems like audio is getting to the amp stages but the K1 is completely
quiet (and I mean quiet, with absolutely none of the normal hiss you would
expect to hear).  I have absolutely nothing coming from the headphone jack
or the external speaker connector.

Any ideas on what/where else to check and see where my sound has gone?  Now
I am assuming, based on pages 36 and 37 of the manual, that I am at the
point where when I access the stl menu that turns on sidetone and that I
*should* be able to hear it.  If that is correct, the K1 is completely
silent.  Thought I'd pull back and see if anyone else has had a similar
issue or has some insight.

Thanks.

John