To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] What's with the new amplifier?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm almost finshed building my basic K2 kit and I'm looking at the
purchase of the power amplifier kit.  I keep hearing rumors of a new
amplifier/tuner kit.  I would be disappointed if just after
purchasing the amp, elecraft came out with a better amplifier.  Does
anyone know what the scoop really is?

I know a few facts about it which I will relate, since Elecraft isn't (aren't) talking. None of this is official, since I don't work for Elecraft and things may have changed since I saw the prototype last April. If so, they'll correct me! One thing I do *not* know is when it will be ready, although I'm convinced that it will be produced.

The initial version of the amplifier, the KPA800 will be rated at 800 watts SSB and capable of 1000 watts CW (the SSB limitation ia due to IMD). At some point in the future there will be a KPA1500 capable of full legal power. The KPA800 has a built-in power supply; the KPA1500 will have an external box. The prototype used 60-volt FET devices made by Advanced Power Technology.

The KPA800 prototype weighed about 36 lbs (16.3 kg). The amplifiers are designed to be driven by a "100-watt class" transceiver such as (but not only) the K2/100. The amplifiers can accept band data from a K2, or from Kenwood, Icom, or Yaesu radios, as well as detecting frequency directly from the RF input. There is a built-in antenna tuner. The prototype covered 160-6 meters; at the time, Elecraft had not decided whether the final version would cover 6 -- if they can do it and meet specs then it will.

The price that was discussed at the time was somewhere between $2500-$3000 for the KPA800. The KPA1500 of course will be somewhat more. Although this seems like a lot, keep in mind that it's a fully automatic amplifier, including power supply and automatic antenna tuner. Consider that the competition for the KPA1500 is the likes of the Alpha 87A ($7K and no built-in antenna tuner).
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco