I bought a bunch of those Russian TX caps. Mine were 680 pf and looked like the 7.5 KV Centralab ceramic TX caps with threaded holes on each end. I put two in parallel and used them for the plate blocking capacitor in a 160 meter KW triode amplifier. Big mistake. They cannot handle much current at all. When I keyed the amp, I saw the power output drop very fast. Those caps got very hot and failed miserably. I complained to the eBay seller and he advised that they were only for use as bypass caps and should not be used directly in the TX line. (Silly me!) Their heating cycle reminded me of what happened with Vic's antenna system of late. I still have them. They might make good target practice subjects. Buyer beware.

K1WHS

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McGraw K4TAX" <rmcg...@blomand.net>
To: <wb5...@centurytel.net>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT antenna question

When I updated my 2 tuners, I used some doorknob style capacitors, of Russian source I presume, which I purchased via E-Bay. Something like 5 for $20. These were 470pf units rated at 16KV. Don't be mislead with the voltage rating, as it the current handling ability being the key for RF usage.

In most all cases one will need to provide a somewhat different mounting as they have screw terminals on either side and are larger physically. I just happen to have one in the desk drawer. Typically 1.0" dia x 0.75" tall with, guessing, #6 or #8 screw terminals on either side. Could be Metric screws as I don't recall and can't tell without my thread gauge.

Another approach is to divide the total current by using 3 or 4 caps in parallel, if you wish to use disk ceramic caps. Thus if your circuit requires 330 pf then use 3 pcs of 100 pf or 3 pcs of 120 pf in parallel and keep the voltage rating the same as the originals. This way the total current is divided between 3 devices as opposed to one device. This also works.

In various transmitter updates, I have used dipped silver mica caps. These work well. Just keep the voltage rating the same as the originals. And it won't hurt to use 2 or 3 units parallel by taking the original capacity value and dividing it by 2 or 3 for the pf value. This approach was used in restoration of some of my old boat anchor AM transmitters. These caps are more stable, meaning less tuning drift, thus work much better than the original disk ceramics units.

73
Bob, K4TAX