The modular nature of the K3 is a wonderful thing, in that it allows the
hardware to be upgradeable. However, it does open up questions of
compatibility. When major specifications change, such as with the
introduction of the K3S, the potential for confusion increases. After
advertising my KRX3 with accessories for sale, I have received emails,
especially from beginners, showing a great deal of confusion. Configuring
the radio from scratch can be hard enough for someone without experience,
and on top of that, people are thinking of upgrades the mix components from
the K3 and the K3S.

Let me make it perfectly clear: My equipment for sale comes from a K3 of
years ago, and is meant for someone who wants to add to their K3, not
nexessarily for someone who wants to add to their K3S, nor necessarily for
someone who wants to migrate their K3 to become like a K3S. However, the
radios are very similar, and some parts may work in either radio. Personally
I have no experience with the K3S, and I have been away from the list for
the past year, so I don't know if the details of compatibility have already
been covered at length. Maybe someone at Elecraft would like to chime in at
this point to clear up the confusion that obviously still exists.

In the absence of authoritative facts to the contrary, I can merely
speculate about most of the compatibility questions. It seems clear to me
that the roofing filters have not changed at all, and work the same in both
radios.  As to the General Receive Option, I would be surprised if the
pinout and physical fit is any different between the K3 version and the K3S
version. Thus I guess the one from my K3 would "work" in a K3S, but I don't
know for sure. And if it "works", does that mean you can use it in the
context of receiving the very low frequences for experimental bands that are
supported by the K3S? I would guess the answer is NO, unless the K3S is so
designed that those very low frequencies bypass the General Coverage option
board. What about the KRX3 itself? Can it be used in a K3S? Again, I don't
know for sure, but I see no reason why not, except that it lacks coverage of
those very low receive frequencies. I would guess that the limitation is not
in the KRX3 board itself, but rather in the synthesizer board. I do believe
that the new synthesizer has the same form factor and pinout as the old one,
so you would probably be able to upgrade the KRX3 to cover the very low
bands by buying a new synthesizer. Again, I may be wrong.

73,
Erik K7TV