You will need an external QRP wattmeter to properly calibrate the wattmeter in the KXAT1, but if you have a good 50 ohm dummy load, you can use your 'scope to measure the RF voltage across it. Use a 10X probe on the 'scope and measure the peak to peak voltage. If the dummy load is sealed, use a T adapter to gain access to the center conductor. The power is the square of the peak to peak voltage divided by 400. Derivation of that formula is "left to the student".

73,
Don W3FPR

On 1/16/2016 8:53 PM, Richard wrote:
From: Richard [mailto:rich...@inparadise.us]
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 8:50 PM
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net'
Subject: Low power KX1

I am very new to the world of CW.  Several months ago I built a KX1.  Once I
was able to receive with it, I built the 30-80 band set, and once it was
installed and working, I built the ATU.  With the ATU was the first time I
was able to measure power.  I am only getting .4W out of internal, and 1W
with a 13 volt power supply.  So I did the power modification changing the
resistors, and now I get .6 internal and 2W with 13V.
I could sure use some advice. I do not have a bridge or watt meter. I do
have a good scope   Can I measure the signal voltage across 50 ohms?
Thank you in advance. Richard

Message delivered to w3...@embarqmail.com