I have studied and measured both the Compression algorithm and, as a separate project, the ALC operation using my K3S. It is clear the ALC system is very different as implemented in the K3S from other radios in as much as there is some gain ranging which occurs below the 5th bar of ALC indication. After and above the 5th bar the system goes into a gain reduction scheme, somewhat typical of other ALC systems. One key to ALC systems which make them very different is the attack time the release time and the compression/limiting ratio, meaning input signal change vs. output signal change. All in all, the K3S system is very clever and much like audio processing as used in commercial broadcast applications. Perhaps this accounts for the excellent results.

This is clear for those that work digital modes and are instructed to adjust the input level to the point the 5th bar is flickering when using the K3S. Clearly, until one understands this, most revert to instructions found with digital programs, digital interfaces and other radios which clearly say "adjust to the point below ALC action". In the case of the K3s, there is really no ALC action below the 5th bar. In fact the value as show on the ALC scale below the 5th bar is more of a VU type indication with some degree of level expansion.

As to CESSB, the articles in QEX and QST February are very interesting and enlightening. It is interesting note that the CESSB methodology increases the average power by a factor of some 2.5. Of course the major advantage is not only increased average power output but greatly reduced distortion as a result of the method employed.

It will be very interesting to see how all this plays out in regard to implementation in future radio designs.

73
Bob, K4TAX