From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim
Brown
Sent: 23 January 2016 19:05
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K5P and VP8STI

Something can be learned from their websites.  There have also been
posts to the NCDXC reflector from K6MM, one of three members on that
trip. Wes is correct about K5P antennas, except that they have a Battle
Creek special for 80 and 160M.  Photos of the SteppIRs suggest an
inadequate radial system, which would account for weak signals. Yes,
there's water nearby, but that only helps first reflections. They're in
my log for one Q on all bands except 6M, and at least 1 Q for CW, SSB,
and RTTY. And I worked them QRP on 20 SSB and 160 CW. Trying to stay out
of the way for stations needing them more than me, I stop once I get
there. I believe that one reason for their antenna choices is that they
were VERY limited by what they could fit onto an aircraft that could
land on the island. Not only that, but at the last minute, three guys
had to stay at the airport because they had to use an even smaller
aircraft.

VP8STI is mostly Force 12 C3s for 20/15/10, similar Force 12 for 17/12.
2-tower phased vertical array for 80 and 160. Don't remember what for 30
and 40. Study the "plans" page on their website for detailed drawings.
They're in my log on 15,17, 20, 30, 40, and 80, and one QSO each mode.
Haven't heard them on 10, 12, or 160. I'm still trying for a QRP QSO.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to turnb...@net1.ie