Usually electrical noise is very broad band in nature. I use the MFJ unit to find the general direction, triangulate to an area, and then using a 24" reflector type microphone, equipped with a high gain audio amp and headphones, go "listening to poles". {Yea the neighbors think I'm crazy, but so what.} You can actually hear the arcing at connectors for conductors, ground arcing or insulators arcing. I've even stood on the ground with the crew from the power company and identified the exact connector which is loose. Another handy item is an infrared thermometer. A hot spot is likely a problem spot. This works to scan ones breaker panel as well.

If the noise is inside a building or house, proceed with caution. Dogs bite and occupants may shoot first.

If the noise is from a device oscillating this is more frequency selective and a bit more of a challenge to find and isolate.

73
Bob, K4TAX