Ken,

You are correct, those K1's without the S2 switch make matters more difficult for setting the Transmit Offset. There is a procedure in the older K1 manual which has you short two solder pads on the RF board to make that adjustment, but it does not work as well as with the K1's with the switch.

My procedure for adjusting the TX offset on those older K1's is more complex. After adjusting the BFO to position the center of the FL3 passband at the desired sidetone pitch, I set the K1 to receive a signal at the same desired pitch. A signal generator is a handy tool, but an off the air signal can be used if a signal generator (such as another transmitter operating into a dummy load) is not available. If using an off-the-air signal, make sure it does not change frequency - ARRL bulletins or code practice signals are a stable source of on-the-air signals. Receive that signal generator (or on-the-air signal output) on the K1 and also on a separate receiver, and then do a TUNE with the K1 (into a dummy load). Adjust the K1 C13 to the same audio pitch that the signal generator (or on-the-air signal) frequency produced in the monitor receiver (Spectrogram or other audio spectrum analyzer is helpful in determining that pitch - any frequency will do - the important thing is that the audio frequencies are the same).

You can try the procedure in the older manual, and if successful it will produce the same result, but my test bench is set up with Spectrogram and a monitor receiver, so the above procedure is the easiest for me.

73,
Don W3FPR