In suburbia Houston, I was fortunate to have some nice very tall pine trees in
which I had an inverted L with one elevated radial (up 20') bent to fit the 60'
x 90' lot. It was fed through a ferrite bead balun. Power output was 600 watts.
The rx antenna was a K9AY and one side of the rx antenna was about 6' from the
radial! UGH! I 1) used rx protection; 2) decoupled the tx antenna by  a relay
in the coax at the 1/4 wavelength point; 3) used ferrite bead chokes on the
feed line of the rx antenna, at the antenna and at the rig.
The K9AY loop has a broad rx pattern so when I set it up, it was orientated for
the noise source to be in the null.

I tried a magnetic type loop and it seemed to work ok but the "AY" loop was
better BUT I could play with diversity reception and occasionally that made the
difference between hearing and making a Q.

My ON4UN low band handbook is highly dog-eared and I did manage over 150
countries at that QTH (now I am in the country).
GL es 73, Mike WA5POK

    On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 9:11 AM, Jim Miller <j...@jtmiller.com>