Open antenna connectors are like baby antennas. Terminate the antenna port in
question before proceeding.

Jim ab3cv

On Feb 10, 2016, at 7:25 PM, Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

Since the problem occurs without an antenna connected, it is a version of the
"RF in the shack" problem, although the RF field is coming from the nearby FM
station rather than the classic situation where the transmitted signal is the
source of the RF.

Jim makes some very good suggestions for 'taming' that problem.

It would be very difficult to cure the K3 of the "pin 1" problems.

For those who are not familiar with the "pin 1" problem, that is a situation
where the shields of interconnecting cables are connected to the circuit boards
rather than directly to the outside of the transceiver enclosure.  That allows
any pickup on attached cables to be imposed into the boards of the
transceivers.  In days of old when we mounted all connectors to the enclosure
rather than to the circuit boards, the enclosure itself provided a shield for
whatever trash was picked up by the external wiring - because those trash
signals would flow on the 'outside' of the enclosure and not affect the
circuits inside.  With modern transceivers where cable jacks are connected to
the ground plane of the circuit boards rather than to the enclosure, the
external signals are coupled to the ground plane of the internal boards, and
will couple the offending signals into the transceiver.

In other words, "board ground plane"  does not equal "ground" - variations in
the ground plane reference will cause "funny happenings" within the interior
circuits.  In other words, the enclosure does not offer a sufficient shielding
effect for the circuits inside the enclosure.

The K3 is not alone in this problem, it is shared by any transceiver that does
not ground the connectors directly to the enclosure.

73,
Don W3FPR

73,
Don W3FPR