I have the K3S USB cable connected direct to one of the USB ports on the computer. As to radio set-up, see page 33 of the manual for details. I use DATA A mode for PSK & other data modes. The software is usually FLDIGI, HRD/DM780 or WSJT-X which all work under Windows 10 successfully and do control all aspects of the radio. The DATA A mode is not the typical or normal USB/LSB mode in that it releases any TX EQ and CMP values used for SSB.

The computer Device Manager reports the radio under "Ports (COM & LPT)" as "USB Serial Port (COM 5)". Depending on your computer, your port number may be different.

Audio, PTT and CAT control of the radio is handled by the single USB cable installation. None of the rear panel connections are used other than the USB port on the radio.

73
Bob, K4TAX