The RasberryPI - will work to the KX3. I have used mine on and off for some
development stuff.

Portable will be an issue - unless you have a very small screen for logging (I
personally use a school notebook - and just retype when I get home). What ever
your choice - Raspberry/Phablet/Notebook/Laptop/Road-Warrior battery life will
be your governing issue. It seems pointless to me to drag a 14V power source
just to power a laptop (school notebook requires even less wattage the the KX3)
- use those stored Watts to radiate a signal.

The KX3 - will do digital modes very well - so even  /P you do not need a
computer (I would not suggest you try and do contests without one mind you) -
you just need to be able to send Morse (it is amazing to hear the PSK/RTTY
being generated).

You could do some large Macro’s (using the KX3 Utility) and not bother with
most of the CW - but you will always need to say the other parties call-sign
etc. And soon you will want to join the fun of CW operating (which the KX3 does
amazingly well also)

Whatever you choose the KX3 - is a great rig…. and so similar to the K3-S it
makes switching between them almost seamless.

Good