For eBay, I do have a few recommendations (having just sold a couple of
laptops).

When you're creating the auction, there's an option to use the advanced
listing tool - do that. You can require that people pay immediately when
they use the Buy It Now option. This helps avoid a lot of scams where
people try to "wire funds in a few days" outside of eBay.

You can also list at a fixed price and avoid the auction altogether. eBay
does a really good job of telling you the range of prices you can expect to
sell something for and even suggests a price that's likely to get it sold
in a short time frame.

--

Jeremiah Peschka