Well, let me do a final summary of what I learned from many kind fellow hams
here and via personal eMail.  There are two schools of thought on how you
accomplish four solid bars and a fifth blinking (ALC meter).

1.  Several people sent me fairly long, complex discussions of the problem with
final recommendations to use the Mic Gain control to control old "blinky 5".
Well meaning but not helpful as that was exactly what I was complaining about.
 That control is irritatingly sensitive!, especially for us older gentlemen.

2. The alternative approach was very well-explained by Ian, N8IK (short form)
and Dave, N5XL (long form).   After very usefuL steps re. Windows audio sliders
etc, they both set radio audio with mic gain level in the Menu.  Then (trumpets
and drum rolls here) the final adjustment of Blinky 5 was done with the Power
Slider in WSIT-X.  Wow.  That slider seems much less sensitive and does the job
nicely.

I will wrap up this thread with a cheer and many thanks to you who shared your
knowledge.   This group rocks!

Sid, NZ7M
(A ham since 1950)

Sent From Sid Frissell's iPad