From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Chuck
Catledge
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:05 PM
To: 'John K7JLT'; 'Mailman'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Furnace RF Noise

John, beware of any furnaces (or ACs) with variable speed motors.  Some are
RF quiet; some are not.  There are three potential sources of RF leakage I
have personally experienced:
1) Variable speed inducer motor - this is a small motor used on higher
efficiency furnaces to provide draft air to the combustion changer.  Some
manufacturers have a kit that MAY reduce or eliminate the noise from this
motor.
2) Variable speed blower motor - this is the large motor used to move air
through the heat exchanger and into the duct system.  I have a 3/4 HP
variable speed motor in one system that is dead quiet; I also have a 1 HP
version of the same motor from the same motor manufacturer in another system
that is very noisy.  The engineer that designed the motor confirmed that in
the 1HP version it was difficult to manage RFI emissions.
3) Variable speed condenser fan motor - this is the motor on the outside
compressor/condenser unit.  Some manufacturers use a variable speed motor
running at a fixed speed for this application.  The one I have is very
noisy.

---
Chuck, AE4CW