Per Jim’s note below:

I recently upgraded to the new Synthesizers for my ancient K3 #951.

I have 5 Pole 2.7s in both receivers, but multiple 8 Pole narrower filters as
well as a 5 pole 200Hz that always was hard to listen to.  I read through the
manual and Fred’s excellent K3 book and found that higher gain was not
recommended.  I had 4dB or more gain on a few filters especially narrow CW.  I
decided to experiment with lower gain settings.

When I reduced the gain to 2-3 dB the “ringing” in the narrow filters reduced a
LOT!

That coupled with the new Synths has made the old K3 come to life all over
again.

It is truly amazing in pileups. Individual signals just pop out of the mess.

Thanks to Howard at Elecraft for digging up old invoices with factory mods and
updates.

And thanks to Elecraft for engineering such an amazing upgrade to an old radio!

Cheers,

Ken N6TZV