Hello All Elecraft Users,

Several days ago I started a thread asking for recommendations for logging
software.  I later reported that I was in the process of deciding what way I
wanted to go.  I thought it would be helpful to the group to share what I
found after a day or so reviewing, installing and comparing logging programs
that interface with the KX3, with the understanding that logging software is
a very personal preference.

I had been using LOGic9 which I recently upgraded to after about a 9 year
hiatus from amateur radio.  I had been using LOGic8 for years.  With the
upgrade, I was getting crashes and at one point the program locked up.

What I found was that all the logging programs that were suggested were very
good and would do most of the things any ham would want.  I spent a great
deal of time with the DX Suite of programs and found them very thorough but
a bit of learning curve ahead of me.  When I imported my log data, it threw
out many of them.  I was running Amateur Contact Log and was amazed to find
that when the spotting window was opened, I could click on the spot and my
radio would go to that.  (later I found other programs, including LOGic, did
as well).  I was about to switch but found that the QTH field was not in
that program.  I finally decided to go back to the new LOGic documentation
and re-read it, because I had not done that for 9 years.  You would think
that with a Ph.D., I would have done that first, but no, I didn't think I
"needed" to!

Long story short, I found that LOGic9 was an amazingly powerful yet
customizable all-in-one logging, contesting, and awards package.  Regarding
changing my radio frequency to the spot frequency, LOGic 9 did it extremely
well.  In fact, i have a friend in Rarotonga who is on periodically.  I
found I could set his call in the filter, let LOGic run recording spots and
if his call was recorded, LOGic would send me an email telling me he was on.
It will even give you an audible announcement, or send email, if a contact
comes up that one might need for any of the many awards that one might be
going for.  Logic tracks all the awards that are most common, and you can
create your own awards that LOGic will track as well.  Having an audible
notification is helpful if you are doing other things in your shack.  There
are multiple spotting sites that one can configure to run with LOGic.  The
logging form is totally customizable with preselected fields with the
capability of creating your own custom ones as well.   I run LOGic on a
computer that is on 24/7 for a weather station I have, so keeping LOGic
running in the background will be great for giving me notifications.

Contesting forms are included that are fully customizable, and I don't think
you have to download your contacts into your regular database at the end of
a contest, but can have them automatically recorded there if you desire.  As
one would expect, LOGic has full capability to interface with LOTW and
download contest logs.

I found LOGic was probably the most all-inclusive, customizable software I
came across, and I looked at a lot.  I like the fact that when I am using my
laptop portable, I can copy my log, then when I go to my main computer, it
will import, if I select it, only the QSO's that are not already in the log.
Going from one computer to another is very easy.

Anyway, most of my problems were self-imposed.  If I had spent some time
with the manual (and the program itself has extensive and thorough help
available) I would have avoided a lot of my frustrations and crashes.  The
software is so customizable, that I had created some fields without the
proper properties.   When I reread the manual, I realized again why I chose
LOGic years ago.

I am now happy using LOGic9 and enjoying all its power and flexibility.  It
is not free, however, it is $129.00.  With the amount of time I spend in my
shack, and the amount of money I paid for my wonderful Elecraft equipment,
it was a small investment in the greater scheme of things.  I believe my
upgrade was less than $90.  With a registration, you get free updates for a
year.  It has great importing flexibility so you can import your logs from
other logging software to see how it works in LOGic.

There is a free 30 day trial you can use to try it out if you are
interested.

I understand from the author that they are still working on polishing up the
interface software for the K3 (KX3), occasionally there are issues.  Things
are running well for me now.   The author gave me detailed instructions for
using OmniRig with the software if I have problems in the future.  I suspect
any remaining issues will be resolved shortly anyway.

I hope these ramblings are useful for others who may be looking to start
using or change their logging software.   For sure, logging software is a
personal preference, and it was clear to me from all the direct emails I
received and from those on the group, that most people are very happy with
the software they are using.

Sometimes it is good to take a fresh look at what is out there.   With the
log importing capabilities of most packages, going from one to the other is
pretty easy to do "test runs."  If I had not had problems, I never would
have taken the time to look at the various products out there.  I am glad I
took the time to do it.  Others might find it useful to take some time to do
the same.

Very 73's,

Terry Brown, N7TB