"Time out" for interesting event that happened a few minutes, ago. My wife commented that something "HIT" my tower, as she heard a "bang" and noted the guy line that secures to post on the front side of the house was moving very "agitated".

So in my slippers I went out on the back deck for a quick look. Tower and antennas all looked fine. Walked to the end of the house where the tower is mounted and secured with wall bracket at ten feet. All fine --- oh there is a guy line draped down where it should not. Further inspection showed the guy to the back side of the house had broken. I walked to the guy post and found that the turnbuckle end that secured the guy wire had bent full open and tip broken off. Guy post laid over almost horizontal in direction right angle to normal guy force.

We didn't see it but only thing big enough to exert enough force to break the turnbuckle would probably be a Moose. The end hook was totally straightened out so the guy loop just slipped off. Hook on other end of turnbuckle looks fine; 3/16 inch galv guy wire survived.

We have been experiencing daily winds above 20mph so that might have fatigued the end-bolt hook. Last two days totally calm, though??? --- Then "BANG!"

OK, back to Elecraft "stuff" ;-)

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"