I’ve had a lot of fun on QRP SSB with nothing more than a Buddipole vertical or
end-fed wire on 20 thru 10 when the bands are good.  It’s more about
“persistence” than “frustration” ;-)  I do usually run a whole humongous 10-12
watts as long as the battery holds out, and that makes some difference.
Occasionally, a DX or other station of interest (with a heart) will actually
ask for QRP mobile stations to give us a break.

In any case, a headset/mic is a good idea, and I do use a CM500 with my KX3
occasionally, but I just don’t like sitting outside on a nice day buried in
headphones.  And I wouldn’t want that to be the only option.  Probably 75% of
the time I use the Elecraft mic and a small (self contained battery) powered
speaker thingy from Best Buy.  Makes the time a whole lot more pleasant … which
for me is the whole point since I’m not a DX hound on QRP (or anything else)
unless it just falls into my lap.  Besides, when there’s a rare one, you really
have virtually no chance breaking through the bedlam and the guys running their
2 by 3CX15000 amps who invariably jump in for the 3rd time that day to say
hello .. again .. and then rag on to “update” the DX (and everyone else) about
how bad their sore toe feels or what they had for lunch.  (What’s with those
guys anyway?)

Now if you’re trying to run stations on SOTA/NPOTA/whatever .. different story,
obviously.

The hand mic won’t impact your retirement plan, and you may be happy you have
one, now or later.

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091, KX3 #8342