LS,

Yes, that 4 pin connector is extra - use it for whatever purpose you want.

There is a situation with the new encoder in that its board can contact the back of the control board. That is not completely clear in the manual. The area of the Control Board that could possibly contact the encoder board must have the pins flush cut and the back of the encoder board must also be flush cut. In addition, a bit more space can be obtained by mounting the standoffs on the back of the Front Panel board so the lockwashers are between the board and the standoff instead of under the screwhead. Make certain the two rubber bumpers are in place on the top of the Front Panel board so they will contact the 2D connectors.

73,
Don W3FPR