Richard,

Those are two totally different things.
The P3 display will show you the PSK or RTTY internal decode on the P3 display, and you can send RTTY or PSK from the K3 paddles by keying CW characters. With the SVGA option for the P3, you can use a keyboard to send those characters. Using the K3/P3 decode, you would tune to the signal of interest with the VFO knob, and the bandwidth should be narrow to home in on one signal. The P3 shows the signals prior to the filtering in the K3S, and you can click on the signal of interest.

FlDigi will give you a similar waterfall display (but it is after the filtering in the K3) - the K3 would be operated in a wide bandwidth, and you would use the FlDigi software to click on the signal of interest and it would be decoded for you - the software does the decoding, not the K3.

So the answer is that the difference between the P3 display and the FlDigi waterfall display is two different questions. The K3S will decode PSK and RTTY signals without the P3, so try it that way and see if it does the decoding job for you in VFO B display area. If you have positive results, then the P3 may be an answer for you.

I have used both, and my preference for general operating is to continue with FlDigi, but the K3 decode as displayed on the P3 is good as well. If the band is crowded, you may find the K3/P3 operated with a narrow K3 bandwidth is better, but for general operating, FlDigi will be the better choice fir normal conditions.

73,
Don W3FPR