Gary,
        I also had a look around for control software - but could find nothing
I really liked (There re some great programs out there) - but either too
complex or not focused on what I want. So….

        Write your own ! I know it sounds daunting - but the K3 has an
excellent programming document - and the K3 Utility gives you a test bed to try
out your commands (I would suggest a degree of caution) - once you have that
done - it is simply a matter of an interface - which can be as complex or as
simple as you want.

Assuming you do not want to write your own - but wish to use multiple programs
at the same time - then….

        Depending upon the port connection mechanism you are using - will
depend if the port is available for other devices to use. Most software opens a
device similar to a file - i.e. in exclusive mode. Thus blocking other programs
from using that port.

However - there are options….

Mac: the Mac seems quite happy with the /dev/CU-xxxxx to allow multiple ports
Windows: I think on Windows you could look for a virtual port driver - and gain
access to the “real” port using virtual ports. I did this years ago for sharing
GPS Receivers amongst programs.
Linux:  you should use a Daemon (a Central process that listens to many clients
who wish to talk to the Device). The Linux mechanism is far superior (Opps
maybe I am a little biased, for it could be implemented as a service in Windows
also - its just almost no Windows programmer ever does this) - but it does add
another layer of complexity to the whole control process.

The Daemon/detached process mechanism is best/easiest used using ricgtld
(Linux) - I do see people using it for Windows also - but I have no experience
on that.

Regards

        Tim
        A45WG