Jeeze, that's QRP.

My Elmer was a neighbor, Lee, W7UVR. Before SSB he ran a 4-1000A high-level modulated in his mobile. I can assure you that there weren't any toilet tank balls on his antennas. The need for those is IMHO, an old wives tale. After SSB, the 4-1000 ran as a linear. There was 5KW of generator and while stationary, the mini-beam was blown up to 30' above the roof. The mobile in motion antennas were a pair of whips, with remotely (driver's seat) motor tuned vacuum variables and silver-plated edge-wound inductors in the matching networks

The car was a '55 Mercury station wagon with a bored and stroked '56 Lincoln engine and a truck rear axle and springs. There was one extra leaf in the spring under the side with the pole pig HV and modulation transformers.

There is some more about him (which is a repeat of what I wrote) under "High Power Mobile" at http://www.k0bg.com/yesteryear.html and photos here: http://www.k0bg.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1039

As to the question about where the wife sat, there was no wife.