On Sun,4/3/2016 8:33 AM, Don Butler wrote:
Barry . I just tested my 20 meter and 17 meter whips by fully extending them
and connecting them directly to a Rig Expert AA-230 Pro outside in the open
yard ... With NO Counterpoise wire ... this is the first time I've tried
this ..

Good that you've never done that -- as W0MBT noted, omitting the counterpoise leaves out half of the antenna! The counterpoise provides a RETURN for antenna current. Without that return, the chassis of whatever box it's connected to (and whatever the chassis is connected to) serves as the return.

Let's get something straight. Current flows in LOOPS, whether it's DC, audio, or RF. If current flows out on one wire (in this case, the whip), it MUST flow in on something else connected to the transmitter. In the case of the whip, it's whatever is connected to the chassis of the transmitter. We call that a counterpoise. An antenna creates an electromagnetic field, which space couples between the two pieces of the antenna (the whip and the counterpoise), so around the antenna space is part of that loop.

Without that counterpoise, the antenna doesn't work as well. First, it is less efficient, because the return path for the feed current and the field is poor. Second, because it is part of the antenna, a missing or shortened counterpoise causes the antenna to resonate at a higher frequency.

Radials are a more ideal form of counterpoise -- they SHIELD the antenna from the lossy earth (which burns TX power before it can be radiated); instead, return current flows in low resistance radials, making the antenna more efficient (and our signal louder at the other end).