From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred
Jensen
Sent: Friday, April 8, 2016 3:44 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 front panel switches

My K3, S/N 642, has been slowly developing "front panel dementia" [as am I
as I accumulate birthdays].  A number of the switches are becoming
intermittent, and often, the first push of one causes a totally unrelated
action [e.g. tapping BAND UP turns on NR].  It doesn't happen with all of
them and it seems like the ones I use the most are pretty stable.  I find
that a really positive actuation, as in hard, often makes it work correctly.

My K3 is getting somewhat long in the tooth as the S/N would indicate, but I
was under the impression that the front panel switches were rated at
multi-millions of operations, and I'm sure I haven't come remotely close to
exceeding that.  My truck is 13 years old and is developing similar symptoms
[Tach says the engine is doing 6,000 RPM sitting in the driveway :-)]

Curious:

1.  Anybody else experience this?

2.  If so, what did you do?

3.  How do I tell if it's time to send it into the Big E?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016