Clint,
       Your brother will find it easier to revise the 518 Khz NavText messages
- which are transmitted every 6 hours (if memory serves me correct). They are a
simply RTTY format. I tried for long time to get HF WeFAX to work - but the
number of stations transmitting it are extremely few and far between. They are
more local +/- 1500 kms (more than enough for coastal use). There are some
small black boxes available which do this - for < $200 - which may be worth
looking at.

Should you want a more high-tech solution then I would recommend a Pactor 3
Modem (alas not cheap), an HF Radio and a small laptop (or Raspberry Pi) - and
connect to a mail server using SailMail - and receive a GRIB file - which
allows you to do much better weather modelling than some nasty Fax every did.
It takes less than 90 seconds to receive the GRIB files (assuming you are not
taking masses of data like wave height etc).

Fair winds & 73s

   Tim - A45WG