Here in Northern California, at least at my QTH, the bands seem to be in very
poor shape. (It doesn't help that my OCF dipole has one leg on the ground due
to high winds.)

At times like this, the SCAN function available on most Elecraft transceivers
can help you find signals you might otherwise miss. SCAN does the work for you
while you check your email, play chess, re-read The Lord of the Rings, shave,
etc.

When a signal pops up, scanning stops, and the receiver unmutes briefly so you
can consider the signal's worthiness. As you'll discover, bands that were
"dead" may not be, in reality. My favorite band for this sort of thing is 15
meters, in the late afternoon. A minute or two after starting a scan, you may
hear DX appear from out of nowhere.

For specific instructions for your rig, check the table of contents in the
owner's manual.

Here a few general tips:

- use a narrow filter passband when possible, especially if the band is noisy

- the tuning RATE in effect when scan starts determines how long it takes
  to scan the selected segment; finer-tuning slows things down, and may result
  in detection of weaker signals

- if the band is noisy (QRN), the SCAN function may unmute too frequently; try
  using the noise blanker

73,
Wayne
N6KR