Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 16:12:54 -0400
From: "James D. (Jimmy) Walker, Jr." <jdwalke...@aol.com>
To: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Sherwood's receiver performance table updated

Just addressing the direct frequency entry issue:

I can do that with my K3 by use of Trakbox sw written by IK7EZN. When coupled with the panoramic display of MAP65 I can click on a signal in the waterfall and click a box in MAP65 to transfer that to the K3. Its not a finger touch screen but does the task pretty effectively. MAP65 is a widescreen adaptation of JT65 for 2m-eme. MAP65 displays up to 90-KHz of bandwidth at a time and simultaneously decodes all JT65 signals in that bw.

Soo...I would guess all that is needed is sw to be able to accomplish this for HF users (maybe even that exists?? - I do so little HF).

General reply: Found the comparison interesting. As long as K3 has Elecraft support for innovation and upgrade - I have no reason to buy anything else - ditto KX3.

Sidenote: Many VHF/microwave hams have tried the Flex1500 and abandoned it subsequently. Appears not all Flex is of equal utility. Direct VHF SDR are coming on the scene so this may affect the VHF-mw/eme market eventually.

For now the combo of very good HF transceiver with very good transverter is still setting the standards of performance for VHF+. None of the all-band HF/VHF/UHF in a box come close, though many use them (including me in the past).

73, Ed - KL7UW
K3/10 SN 4340
KX3 SN 475
KXPA-100 SN1865
previously owned: FT-847, FT-817, FT-840, Tentec-Scout, Argonaut405, TS180S, IC211, SB110, etc.

==snip

What interests me most in the IC-7300 is the ability for direct entry of a frequency by touching the waterfall display. The P-3 does not offer that feature, and I?m told that it will not be available. With due regard to the superior performance of the K-3 receivers, I believe that state of the art now requires a more responsive Panadapter for the casual operator. BTW, I?m not expecting to part with my K-3.

Jimmy, WA4ILO

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"