My experience too. I might have inadvertently bought Amphenol connectors 60 years ago when the market was much smaller, and Amphenol market share was larger, but I never did it on purpose. The only connector failures I've had over the years, a comparative few, could be attributed to hasty construction on my part.

But sometimes it's satisfying to use new brand name parts after decades of robbing connectors from old cables, both of unknown origin, because that's what you could afford. Building with a box of little packages from Digi-Key is a different experience than building with crap salvaged from the family's old TV.

Eric KE6US