From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Dauer,
Edward
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2016 9:32 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K2 PA Failures and Remote Antenna Switch System

For any who may be interested, the following is the resolution of a problem I
had with a K2 that kept blowing its PA transistors – events for which I
requested help on this reflector, and about which many replied (thank you.)

Following the build last Fall the K2 blew away its PA transistors the first
time it was connected to my antenna system.  And, after repair, the second time
and the third time.  It went back to Don W three times for diagnosis and
replacement of the transistors and other PA circuit components that failed when
the transistors did.  Don could not find any reason why the failures were
occurring.  With each replacement he checked it out thoroughly, on one trip for
a full week, with no problems.  When it came back to me each time I did the
same on my bench with no problems.  Then, each time, when I brought it to the
operating QTH and put it on my antenna system, it failed in the same way.

The supply voltage was doubly surge protected; the power supplies (different
ones each time) included high-quality PowerWerx; the antennas are all resonant
with SWRs below 1.3:1.

The one common element, I finally realized, that was present with each failure
but not with Don’s operating checks nor my bench checks was a remote antenna
switch at my operating QTH which inserts its relay voltages into the RF feed
line at the shack and picks it off at the remote relay box.  On a hunch I
looked at the voltages with a ‘scope and there it was – very high voltage
transients with very short rise times, possibly attributable to the relays
switching and the coil fields collapsing, though I confess the physics of it is
above my pay grade.  Inside the relay box I found no diodes and no capacitors
across the relays that might have been used in the design to avoid this kind of
problem.  The one capacitor in series with the RF input at the shack end
probably wasn’t doing much blocking with transients that fast.

Although I have had no problem with a K3/KPA500 or a KX3/KXPA100 operating on
the same system, the remote switch was the last remaining candidate for the
repeated K2 PA failures.

I have now discarded the Ameritron (MFJ) RCS-4 switch and replaced it with an
Array Solutions “RatPak 6”, which uses an independent multi-conductor cable for
its relay voltages.  This is now the second weekend operating with the RatPak.
No problems with the K2, at last.

I can’t prove it, but there is reason to believe that the K2 had been damaged
on multiple occasions by a remote antenna switch that inserted its relay coil
voltages into the RF coax and which had circuit features inadequate to protect
against the voltage transients getting back into the RF feed.

Never again.

Ted, KN1CBR