Don wrote:

>I purchased from Elecraft a 4 band module and built it for 40/30/20/15.
>I also purchased the parts to rework the 40/20 board into a 40/80 board.
>
>...how involved is it to swap the 4 band and the 2 band back and forth?

You'll want to replace the 20m parts on your 40/20m board with the 80m parts
(plus you'll need to install RFC8 and C78 on the RF PCB for 80m operation).
This will minimize work, and leave 40m as band 1 on both of your filter boards.
 That will keep you from having to re-assign band 1 after a board swap.

Removing/installing the KAT1 is simple if you take Tom's (NOSS) suggestion to
cut strips from a small rubber band and thread the two KAT1 PCB spacer sleeves
on the long KAT1 mounting screws with this rubber piece to hold the sleeves on
the screws.

In addition to changing the filter board (the K1 will automatically detect
whether it's a two-band or four-band board), you'll need to use the "bx" menu
to re-assign b2 (band 2) to 80m when your 40/80m board is in place, or to
re-assign b2 to 30m when your 40/30/20/15m board is in place.

The K1 can retain frequency display calibration data for *each* of the nine HF
ham bands, but it can only retain *one* set of cal data *per HF ham band.*  You
will have two boards using the same band (40m).  Unless the 40m heterodyne
crystals on your two boards oscillate within about 50 Hz of each other, there
will be a small frequency display error when the board which was not the last
one calibrated for frequency is installed.  The error will be the difference in
frequency between the two 40m crystals, and that could be several kHz.

I don't think that K1 board swaps are intended to be done *very* frequently.
IIRC, this is discussed in the manual somewhere.  Daily swaps will take a toll
on RF, KFL, and KAT1 PCB board flexing (may lead to broken traces) and
connector reliability.  I re-built my old two-band board for 80/17m, but I
rarely remove the 40/30/20/15m board.

73,
Mike / KK5F