How hot it gets is determined by 1) the SWR and 2) the configuration of the antenna/feedline -- how much common mode power it has to dissipate.

I have a DX Engineering balun rated 5 kW continuous and 10 kW intermittent which /overheated/ on some bands when running 1 kW -- until I added capacitance or inductance on the antenna side of the balun to cancel out the reactance and at the same time detune the feedline for common mode current. Now it stays cold.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP/K2VCO
Rehovot, Israel
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/