While I agree about the usefulness of a spectrum display we should note that the KX3 has Dual Watch which permits listening to the pileup with one ear while listening to the DX with the other. I covers most of the issues in working pileups.

I do remember one of the W1AW/P operators, wanting to work EU only, transmitting on the US SSB subband, but listening down in the CW band. That strategy made it illegal for US stations to call him. I also made his split too wide for the KX3 dual watch. But these kinds of situations are really very very rare.

73 Bill AE6JV