I know this is runs the risk of reopening an old thread, so I’ll keep the
question focused:

During the FD this weekend I spent about half the time with the K3 line, and
half with the K2.  Using the same headset, same antennas, same ambient
environment, but of necessity different filter configurations, I now understand
why some people prefer the K2’s audio to the K3’s.  It is a matter of taste, of
course.  But I found the K2 simply easier to listen to for long stretches – at
least for my ops which are CW only.  It’s hard to describe the difference in
words, so two questions.  1.  Has anyone done an analysis of the frequency
response of the audio stages in both rigs, to compare them empirically?  My
guess is that the K2’s curve is skewed toward the lower ranges.    2.  I have
never set the RX EQ in the K3 – it’s still on what it was when I bought it.
Has anyone tried to make a K3 sound more like a K2?  If so, what settings do
the best?

This encomium for the K2 ends, however, when it hits the fan.  Running QSOs in
the contest with the K2 and KPA100/KAT100 (in an EC-2) kept the amp’s fan on
pretty much continuously – and the sound it makes is something like a cat being
slowly tortured.  It is much more annoying than the fans in the K3, the KPA500,
and the K3 power supply blowing simultaneously, which they almost never do.
Could be a bad bearing?  The amp hasn’t been used for 100 hours yet.  If it’s
not a flaw, is there an after-market fan that fits the KPA100 cutouts and which
moves as much air but doesn’t make as much noise?

Thanks . . .

Ted, KN1CBR