Hi all,

This year my son and I once again joined the K6SRA effort at Almaden
Quicksilver park in San Jose. This is a well-organized, large 3A operation,
with lots of radios, big batteries, solar panels, and no shortage of unhealthy
snacks.

We had many drop-bys of hams and non-hams. Lots of excellent PR. At one point I
had three 9 or 10 year olds kicking the tires on my KX2, seeing their names in
CW and arguing over who would get to log the next contact. Oh, and lots of
questions, like "what is a radio signal?"

Did I mention it was hot? Must have been close to 100 F at midday.

After working towards the K6SRA total for awhile, I unplugged the KX2 from the
group's Yagi, plugged in a 4'-long 20 meter whip, and headed out for some /PM
(pedestrian mobile) operation. I had a gent with me who was very skeptical of
what could be done with a hand-held radio, whip, and trailing counterpoise wire.

While standing under a tree, we switched to 20 meters and started tuning
around. Using the radio like an HT, running 10 watts (internal battery), we
worked several stations in SSB, RTTY, and CW modes. Best DX while handheld was
Massachusetts and Hawaii. This all happened over the course of about 3 minutes.

I did discover a couple of minor firmware bugs, in keeping with long Field Day
tradition.

73,
Wayne
N6KR