Hi All,

I have always considered Field Day to be the most enjoyable "event" of the year. Unfortunately, this year I was unable to participate "in the field" as I am busy getting ready for a long trip. Otherwise, I would have been out there with the rest of you.

Long ago I determined that there were two things that could ruin Field Day for me--excessive heat and bugs (no, not the Vibroplex kind!). If I can't avoid both, I usually don't go! When I was living in "The South", both could be a problem. Here in the desert, it's the heat issue that I mainly have to deal with. Fortunately, there is a good choice of "high ground" nearby, so that problem is solvable. Since there typically isn't a lot of water nearby, the bug problem is usually minimized as well.

My hat is most definitely off to those of you who can endure either or both of my "Field Day Fun Killers". Most of you who do that are probably east of the Rockies. I remember Field Days where the seemingly most important pieces of equipment were fans! The problem is that most of the time all those did was blow hot air around! High temperatures plus high humidity is a tough combination to combat. It doesn't take long before you wish you could take a shower--but you probably can't! It even makes grabbing a little shut eye difficult.

Fighting the bug problem can be a bit easier, but takes some advance planning. My Field Day kit includes a large canopy of mosquito netting that can be suspended from most anything overhead, like a tree branch. A tent-like canopy with netting works too, but isn't always as convenient to locate. Fully enclosed tents tend to trap heat, so those don't always work well either.

Planning for Field Day can be a year long event, particularly for larger groups. However, even the smaller operations need to start making a list early! Your "fun killer" list may not be the same as mine, but whatever it includes, you should consider early on how to deal with it. Starting the process now, while the problems are fresh in your mind, is probably one of the best things you can do.

I've been reading a lot of complaints about high heat in the reports that have been posted so far. That's always a problem, but it just seems like it was more so this year. Even Wayne Burdick commented about some very high temperatures in his area, and I think this may be a sign of the times. I'm getting too old to have that kind of dedication. Here in my area it was well into the 100's down low, but in the 70's higher up. I will always opt for "up", even if I have to drive a bit further. Besides, there are trees up there!

Again, I greatly admire the dedication that many (if not most) of you gave to this year's effort. However, I have to wonder if participating in those 5A/6A or higher groups, who's location choices are perhaps much more limited, is really worth it. Have you considered a 1A, or 2A operation in a much more hospitable location? The food may not be quite as good, but the experience can be well worth it! I know, it's often a "club thing", and that may well overrule all other concerns. However, you still might want to try it at least once--you might like it! For many years now I've operated strictly QRP CW in the field, and never had more fun!

73,

Dave W7AQK