Joe:

I'd be very surprised if you'd need the MOAA to work 100 countries on 80m. The K2 should handle it easily.

Comment on solar activity:

During my time at ORNL we were occasionally concerned with modeling the long term history of solar activity, and we noticed that the solar cycle is really a 22 year cycle rather than 11 years, with a fairly consistent pattern of a strong peak followed by a weaker second peak 11 years later.

I was active in the 1978-83 period, and worked through that solar maximum. I made 5BDXCC in 1981 (DX on 80m is workable during high flux), but I did not hear fellow hams telling war stories about their spectacular results, as they did, for example, in the late 50s or early 90s.

I was not active in the 90s, but I did notice that a lot of my ORNL buddies were telling war stories about their consistently spectacular DX on 10 meters in 1990-91.

In contrast, although a lot of people are wondering when we'll hit bottom and head back up the hill, I do not hear any pining for the halcyon days of the early 2000s. I suspect that the last peak was soso.

Thus, based on these anecdotal observations, I've been expecting big things for the next maximum.

Evidently, the SA article reflects relatively recent insights into the internal solar forces driving sunspot activity. This suggests a causally-based model of sunspot activity, rather than simply curve fitting and extrapolation of historic data, as most researchers have done in the past. I'll be very interested in how their model holds up.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK
K2 S/N# 5383