I have had good luck with the one RadioShack sells.  Zonet ZUC3100 also
seems to work on both my laptop and desktop with everything I own. Be
careful - some do not provide all of the needed support output/inputs (CTS,
RTS, DTE, etc.). I had one that would lock up my laptop after loading the
needed driver and then plugging in the adapter. Another seemed to work
properly but would not talk to the Magellan GPS, even though it had no
problem talking to the K2. Thus make sure that where you buy it from has a
good return policy, and try it out on all serial devices you intend on using
within the return policy time limit.

Rich,
KE0X