Jim,

The repeat time setting is actually doing something but it depends on an
"end of message" bit to be sent which isn't done when an ASCII stream is
transferred.  Since the repeat function is generally used in a contest for
repetitive CQing and a KX2 is not going to be a heavy duty contest radio,
this is probably only going to affect a very few folks BUT here's how I work
around the repeat issue (since I'm on the crazy fringe):

1)      Assume a constant CW sending rate; say 30 WPM. (or whatever you are
normally comfortable with during a contest)
2)      Time your message to see how many seconds it takes to send.  (let's
assume 5 seconds)
3)      Take the message length (in seconds) and add the delay you want (in
seconds).  (If you want a 3 second delay, add 3 to the 5)
4)      Put the total seconds derived from bullet 3 into the N1MM repeat
timing slot. (Put 8 seconds in the repeat selection)
5)      Works like a charm but only for that CW WPM.  Slower WPM would
require seconds added and faster would subtract seconds from the repeat
setting.

Sending speed would be controlled by the KX2 since the ASCII stream is just
getting dumped into the serial port at 38,400 baud (or whatever baud rate
you choose).  I generally don't change my CQ sending speed more than 2-4 WPM
so a nice compromise delay time could be found experimentally that would
satisfy most situation.  Additionally, the N1MM delay can be adjusted with 2
key strokes (Ctrl-R then number entry) as a message is sending so it is very
user friendly if you need to adjust on the fly.

I see this as a very personal situation though.  A crazy contester (like me)
is going to figure a workaround for just about anything if he is motivated
to enter a contest while up a perfectly good mountain playing radio while
his wife is wondering why he isn't enjoying the view with her.  The repeat
function and N1MM speed adjustments can be left behind in most KX2
situations but where there's will, there's a way.  ;-)

YMMV

Bob K5WA

P.S.  I took my new KX2 to my contest station this weekend and plugged it
into the BIG antennas prior to the IARU contest to make a few contacts.  The
KX2 loved that!  ;-)   I think it got spoiled and will never let me hook up
a BuddiPole to it again.  I never got a KX3 because I thought it was too big
but this KX2 is my idea of perfection for traveling, hiking or whatever you
need a tiny, great rig for.  I may actually have to figure out what NPOTA is
all about now.  Thanks to Wayne and the team!!!!

Message: 1