I'll make a few closing comments, as I suspect the moderator will be cutting this off soon.

When I used 45 degrees, that was a number out of a hat for illustrative purposes only. The point being that we hams tend to think that we can "force" the TOA to be lower, and lower is always "better." NM7M (SK) in his book, "The Big Guns Guide to Low-Band Propagation" mentions the case where a low angle signal (10 degrees) can't penetrate the E-layer and needs many more hops than a higher angle signal that does penetrate and gets to the F-layer were fewer hops are necessary to cover the same path.

Eric, KL7AJ, has a couple of thought-provoking papers in QST that have a different take as well. They are, "Gimme and X, Gimme an O", QST, Dec. 2010, pp 33-37 and "Three Wrong Assumptions about the Ionosphere", QST, Mar 2012, pp 40-42.

Carl, K9LA, in a presentation (http://wwrof.org/webinar-archive/a-long-overdue-review-of-gray-line-propagation-on-the-low-bands-by-carl-luetzelschwab-k9la/) shows an example where IONCAP says there is no (usable) path between two stations, yet QSOs are made.

Wes