From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don
Wilhelm
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 4:05 PM
To: Jan Ditzian; Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Test serial-to-USB converter

Jan,

The best way to test a USB to serial converter is by substitution with a
known good one, or by substitution of a known good working serial device
connected to the questionable converter cable.

Yes, a power surge or a lightning event can damage serial interfaces as well
as USB interfaces.

Since your USB ports on the computer seem to work, borrow a known good USB
to serial converter and try it out - preferably one with an FTDI chipset.

If you have any other devices that use a serial COM port interface, see if
they work with your USB to serial adapter - if so, the adapter is probably
OK, but remember that in the event of a power surge, multiple failures are
possible even though in normal troubleshooting we assume only a single
failure.

You can test the USB to serial converter with a 'scope and an RS-232
breakout box, but you have to know the proper RS-232 levels to understand
what is happening.  A null modem loopback cable can be helpful if you have
to proper driving software application for that testing.  I did that during
my years of PC modem testing, but that was more than 30 years ago and the
software ran under DOS - not helpful now.

73,
Don W3FPR

delivered to c...@cfcorp.com