Joel and all:

The 80w amplifier I build is the Klitzing amp described, below.

I purchase the unpopulated pc board from Jim and order all other components. I install them in Hammond enclosure with same heat sink Jim recommends, plus a 120mm square fan controlled by a thermistor-based ckt. I also add a bar meter which indicates relative output. I also use the ALC kit from Jim to sample RF power for the meter.

It runs with 8amp quiescent current at near class-A operation so very linear in output. No preamp is included but the TR relay allows bypass in OFF so you do not need to disconnect the amp if not needed. I agree with Joel that there are better preamps than typically embedded in most ham VHF amps.

I handle PayPal sales for the popular WA2ODO preamps (6m-13cm).

73, Ed - KL7UW

snipped-----------------
I convinced Jim to design and build an amplifier that would make my K3
competitive with the typical 100 W HF-VHF transceivers. With my great
receiver and 10 W transmitter, I was hearing people and they weren't hearing
me. By staying at the 100 W level, I could use the same power supply that my
K3 used for HF. I have been using the amplifier for years and been very
happy with it. It is very linear up to 80 W PEP out on SSB, but happy to do
CW and FM at 100 W. See the article at:

May 2013 -- QST (p. 30)
Build a Linear 2 Meter 80 W All Mode Amplifier

Jim offers PC boards, unpopulated, as well as largely complete, for
reasonable prices via his web page at w6pql.com. This amplifier is the size
of a brick, probably costs less and is a much better product, in my view. I
recommend it without reservation.

Regards, Joel Hallas, W1ZR
Westport, CT

73, Ed - KL7UW