While out in the woods yesterday doing the Polar Bear event (good wx
for it - in the 20s w/wind chill taking it lower!!) I discovered my
KXPD1 is not the same paddle as it is sitting on the bench at room
temps. Which is often the case! My soft supple antenna wire becomes a
slinky at 20*. I can hear it now - you say "why operate at freezing
temps?" ...cause it's fun and a excuse to get out the house and play
in the woods!

Seems the KXPD1 rubber paddle covers get more ridged causing the
spring steel to push against the silver-wire contacts. Manuals say to
squash the wire flat against the PCB with needle nose pliers to adjust
the spacing. Well, my leatherman didn't make the trip. Plus I had
spent the earlier evening getting the 'perfect' spacing! Thus when I
plugged in the paddle it started sending ditdahditdah ...etc. Bummer!
I thought I had found the solution to having a field paddle for all
occasions. So I removed the covers and fummbled with the levers trying
to not to sound like some ship wrecked survivor tapping two wires
together!

Has anyone come up with a solution for their KXPD1 for cold wx
operation? Or a modification not using the rubber pads?

I do like the basic design and having it itegrated with the KX1 is
great but just need to resolve the tempeture issue IMHO. Steve/n0tu