Folks,

I have a mid-2010 vintage K3 and more recent KX3 that I use for JT65/9, WSPR,
and FLDIGI, in addition to CW. For those digital modes I run external USB sound
cards - Tascam US-125M. On the K3 the Tascam connects to the K3 line in and
line out and to the computer via USB. That's where the audio signals are
exchanged. The K3 connects to the computer via a serial->USB device. With the
digital modes, the rig control signals traverse this path. All well and good.

Now, a fellow Elecrafter with a K3S wants to do digital and has asked me what
he needs. I know that rig has built in sound card, so I thought he wouldn't
need the external unit like I have. But, not having a K3S, I'm confused how
things work. The online manual (Data Mode Connections, pg. 33) says that "You
can transmit and receive data in one of three ways". None of those three ways
listed refer to that built in sound card.

I guess the bottom line question is: can one run a program like FLDIGI and/or
WSJT-X on a K3S without the need for an external sound card, and still have
those programs do full rig control like the K3 that I have? If yes, what
connections are made between the radio and the computer...?

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

Jim Bennett / W6JHB
Folsom, CA