Data modes require only mono - only the left channel is used. The SignaLink interface is mono.
Of course, the KX2/KX3 requires a stereo plug.

An exotic soundcard is not required for data modes, although ones with a low noise floor will decode weaker signals.

If you are thinking of a panadapter application from the KX3 I/Q outputs, then you need not only stereo, but a good soundcard.

73,
Don W3FPR